Kristian Krieger was born in Bremen, Germany. He studied Politics, Economics and Law at the University of Leipzig, Germany, and was awarded a first class Diploma degree (combined BA and MA). Following his first degree in Germany, he graduated from the London School of Economics with an MSc in Politics of the World Economy. Currently, he is working as a Research Associate on King's College London.
Kristian´s research interests can broadly be summarised as governance of uncertainty, studying from a comparative perspective whether, how and why governance regimes have evolved from institutions promising safety to those stressing resilience and the uncertainty of safety. He explores the concepts of risk, uncertainty, resilience and safety for a number of environmental and other risk issues, including natural disasters such as flooding but also terrorism and energy politics.
Kristian has organised a number of international collaborative projects, including two conferences (King's Risk Research Symposium 2009, London; International Research Workshop 'New Partnerships on the Horizon? Governing uncertainty, participation and accountability' 2010, Brussels) and a special issue for the Journal of Risk Research (forthcoming 2011).
- Editorial: Towards a more Democratic Governance of Uncertainty? Contesting Notions of Participation, Control and Accountability (forthcoming). Journal of Risk Research 2011. Authors: Kristian Krieger, Naonori Kodate, Fabrizio Cantelli.
- Green Partnerships in Britain’s Energy Sector – Classifying NGOs and Exploring Their Varying Potential to Co-operate with Energy Companies. Environmental Politics December 2010, Vol 19(6), pp. 910-929. Authors: Kristian Krieger, Brooke Rogers
- Participation Beyond the State: Why some NGOs Partner with the Energy Industry and Others Do Not (forthcoming). MIT Press 2011. Authors: Kristian Krieger, Brooke Rogers
- Questioning World Risk Society: Three Challenges for Research on the Governance of Uncertainty. Global Policy May 2010 (special online content). Authors: Kristian Krieger, Naonori Kodate, Fabrizio Cantelli
- Trade-offs in Climate Change Adaptation: The Issue of Flood Disaster Financing in Europe. Social Europe Journal May 2010 (online column). Authors: Kristian Krieger
- Mediating the social and psychological impacts of terrorist attacks: The role of risk perception and risk communication. International Review of Psychiatry 2007, Vol 19(3), pp 279-288. Authors: Kristian Krieger, Brooke Rogers, Richard Amlot, James Rubin, Simon Wessely
- Climate Change Action Network. International Encyclopedia of Civil Society, Springer December 2009. Authors: Kristian Krieger
- World-Wide Fund for Nature/World Wildlife Fund. International Encyclopedia of Civil Society; SpringerDecember 2009. Authors: Kristian Krieger