Jones Lewis Arthur has been the Executive Director of BAREC since Sep, 2009. He is doubles up as a Lecturer and Research fellow at the Sunyani Polytechnic-Ghana. Jones has a Master degree in Environmental Management and Policy, Bachelors Degree in Education (Social Studies) from the University of Cape coast Ghana in 2006 and 2000 respectively. He also has a Post Graduate diploma in Innovation in Financing cities (Erasmus University Rotterdam-2011), cert. in earth systems Governance (Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam-2008), cert. in Transitions Management (Jehu Nehru University/IHDP-2008) and UN-UNEP-DEWA 04-GEO 4 projects. Jones has many years experience in academic research including eight(8) peer reviewed publications, three (3) book publications and also participated and presented papers at fourteen (14) local and international conferences.
Jones has worked on many projects in various capacities including currently being a reviewer for Academic Journal of Education Administration and Policy Studies, Journal of Development and Agricultural Economics (JDAE) and Journal of Education Research and Review. He is also a working member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) on small hydro projects and Rural Agricultural Consultants (RASCON) Limited as a collaborating consultant.
More so, he has participated in various workshops and training including IDSC-SHRSS, Canada, June 27-28, International Community University research, Alliance Project, Ottawa, Canada 27-28 June 2009, Jehu Nehru University, IHDP workshop on Transitions: System Innovations, Aug, 2008, Ghana Government, Accra 22-24 April 2008, National Forum on Harnessing Science, Technology and Research for Sustainable development in Ghana, International Conference on Adaptive Science and Technology for Developing Countries (ICASTDN), Division Co-Chair (Environmental Control and Protection), Nov 2006 to Dec 2007, Marie Curie Summer School on Earth System Governance, Vrije University, The Netherlands, May 28-June 6, 2007, Ethics, human rights and development, Annual Conference of the Norwegian Association for Development Research (NFU), University of Oslo, Norway, September 13-15, 2006, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)-Geo 4 project, Briefing Geo 4 Fellow, Nairobi Kenya, March, 2006, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)-Geo 4 production and Authors meeting, Nairobi, Kenya, March, 2006, United Nations environment Programme (UNEP)-Geo 4 Regional Review meeting, Johannesburg, South Africa, June, 2006, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)-South-South Cooperation of Geo collaborating centres, Johannesburg, South Africa, June, 2006.
Jones has affiliation with many international bodies including Population Environment research Network (PERN), Asia Population Association (APA), European Science Foundation (ESF), Union of Africa Population Association (UAPS), Protected Area and Poverty Reduction (PAPR), International Human Dimensions Programme (IHDP), International Institute on Sustainable Development (IISD), Marie Curie Earth System Governance Project, BISA Africa and International Studies Working Group and the Brong Ahafo Research and Extension Centre (BAREC).
Jones is an optimistic individual and believes in working beyond your challenges. He is principled, disciplined and believes that if anything or project needs to be carried out, then, it is better it is done right. Luckily he has an opportunity to ensure that his desires become a reality as he has been given an opportunity to undertake his PhD in IDRC/SSHRCC’s funded Protected Area and Poverty Reduction (PAPR) project in fall 2011.
- Arthur, J.L., Nsiah, M.K., Nsiah-Gyabaah, K., (2011). Flood Induced Migration: Counting the Days for Communities within the Bui National Park Enclave of Ghana. Protected Areas and Poverty Reduction (PAPR) Working Paper No. 4. Sunyani, Ghana. http://www.papr.co.ca/index.php?p=1_25_Working-Papers
- Arthur J.L.; Nsiah-Gyabaah K. And Nsiah M. K., (2010) FGM and Gender Development, Lecture Series 6, Sunyani Polytechnic, Ghana, December 2010
- Arthur J. L.1 And Nsiah M.K.2(2010) Contemporary Approaches to Sustainable Development: Exploring Critical Innovation in Traditional Leadership in Ghana, Lecture Series 5, Sunyani Polytechnic, Ghana, December 2009
- Arthur J.L.; Ampadu-Sasu K.; BAREC-Ghana et.al., (2010) An Overview of BAREC, BAREC Research Conference 2010, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing AG & Co. KG, Germany, Jan 2011, ISBN: 978-3-8443-0020-8
- Arthur J.L. and Irene Arthur (2010) Ghana’s Environment In Retropect: An Analysis of Ghana’s Environment fro the Perspective of Ghana’s major Newspapers, january-December 1997, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing AG & Co. KG, Germany, July 2010, ISBN: 978-3-8383-9139-7
- Arthur J.L. (2010) Exploring Family Size and Quality of Life Nexus: Empirical Studies of the Sunyani municipality, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing AG & Co. KG, Germany, July 2010, ISBN: 978-3-8383-8611-9
- Arthur J.L. (2009) Role of Public Participation In Achieving Development Agenda of Developing Countries; The Case of Communities Affected by Surface Mining of Gold in the Asutifi District of the Brong Ahafo region of Ghana, African Journal of History and Culture (AJHC) Vol. 1 (4), pp. 060-066, October 2009, Academic Journals http://www.academicjournals.org/AJHC
- Arthur J.L. (2009) Vulnerability Adaptability and Mitigation in the Context of the Challenges of Climate Change: The Balance of Benefits in Traditional and Urban Societies of Ghana, International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), Copenhagen, Denmark, March 2009
- Arthur J. L. (2009) Achieving Sustainable Energy in Ghana: The Role of the Environment, Presented at Sunyani Polytechnic Lecture Series IV 14-15 December, 2008
- Arthur J. L.(2008) Movement Under Environmental Disaster; The Case of Ghana, Environment Forced Migration and Social Vulnerability, EHS-UNU, Bonn-Germany, October, 2008.