The National Technical University of Ukraine 'Kyiv Polytechnic Institute', Central European University (Budapest, Hungary), the VU University Amsterdam (The Netherlands) in cooperation with the European Commission Tempus project “Environmental Governance for Environmental Curricula”, the OSI ReSET project “Governance of Global Environmental Change”, DEVAST project (Disaster EVAcuation and RiSk PercepTion in Democracies), in cooperation with the Earth System Governance Project announce a Spring School and a Field Trip on issues of nuclear energy in society, and on teaching them at tertiary level. The central theme of the event is civil nuclear governance.
It will constitute a unique training opportunity to explore issues related to nuclear governance, and more broadly to environmental governance, from multiple perspectives (scientific, political, economic, social and individual). The event will allow a joint reflection on the Chernobyl and Fukushima accidents. It will amongst other explore the differences and similarities in information and communication flows and in crisis management in nuclear accidents in such distinctively different societies as the USSR of the 1980's and nowadays Japan. On this basis, a reflection will be jointly developed on risks and options for the future governance of nuclear energy and of its legacy.
Two key purposes of the event are to create a discussion space and to provide a quality research training taking a governance perspective on nuclear issues, i.e. to discuss the actors and networks involved in the issue, their interactions, their rationalities and their stakes. The discussion topics will include but will not be limited to: communication, ethics, economics, politics of the nuclear energy sector, as well as essential technological and social aspects. The event also aims to contribute to the reflection on possible strategies for rehabilitation of contaminated areas and adaptation of local communities.
Organising Committee & Faculty
- Agnieszka Karczmarczyk, Assistant Professor, Life Science University in Warsaw - SGGW (Poland)
- Alexander Slinchak, Professor and Head of Geographical Department, Pskov State University, (Russia)
- Andrey Timoshchenko, Professor, Head of Department for Nuclear Safety, International A.Sakharov Environmental University, (Minsk, Belarus)
- Anton Shkaruba, Research Fellow, Central European University (Budapest, Hungary)
- Eduard Podgaysky, Russian State Hydrometeorological University (Sankt-Petersburg, Russia)
- Estelle Balian, Research Associate, Median SCP (Barcelona, Spain)
- Felix Stolberg, Professor, Head of the Department of Engineering Ecology, Kharkiv National Academy for Municipal Economy (Ukraine)
- Hans-Peter Nachtnebel, Professor, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences - BOKU (Vienna, Austria)
- Iryna Usava, NGO Ecoproject, ENECA (Minsk, Belarus)
- Jan Milicka, Assistant Professor, Comenius University in Bratislava (Slovakia)
- Katarina Pavlickova, Head of Department for Landcape Ecology, Ass. Professor, Comenius University in Bratislava (Slovakia)
- Marc Le Menestrel, Professor of Business, University Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain); Visiting professor of Ethics, INSEAD (Fontainebleau, France); Partner, Median SCP, (Barcelona, Spain)
- Matthijs Hisschemöller, Senior Researcher, Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM), Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (The Netherlands
- Matyas Szabo, Director of Curriculum Resource Centre, Central European University (Budapest, Hungary)
- Rem Khlebopros, Professor, Siberian Federal University (Krasnoyarsk, Russia)
- Reiko Hasegawa, Researcher, Institut du Développement Durable et des Relations, Internationales (IDDRI) (Paris, France)
- Ruben Mnatsakanian, Professor, Central European University (Budapest, Hungary)
- Siamion Kundas, Rector, International A. Sakharov Environmental University (Minsk, Belarus)
- Sybille van den Hove, Director and Partner, Median SCP; Visiting Professor, Institute for Environmental Science and Technology (ICTA), Autonomous University ofBarcelona (Spain); Member of the Scientific Committee, European Environment Agency
- Tamara Dudar, Assistant Professor, Institute for Environmenmtal Security (Kiev, Ukraine)
- Tatiana Kuchinskaya, National Technical University of Ukraine 'Kyiv Polytechnic Institute' (Kiev, Ukraine)
Please contact email@example.com for more information.